Vijay babu Balakrishnan MD, CCD
Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
Board Certified in Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
Board Certified in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
Other Certifications: Certified Clinical Densitometrist
Chengalpattu Medical College, Chengalpattu, India
Nuclear Medicine - All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Delhi, India
Internal Medicine - Abington Memorial Hospital, Abington, Pennsylvania
Chief Resident -Abington Memorial Hospital in the Department of Internal Medicine
Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism - Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia
Diseases and Conditions
1. Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes
2. Thyroid disorders including Hypothyroidism, Hyperthyroidism, Thyroid cancer and Thyroid nodules
3. Bone disorders including Osteoporosis and Metabolic bone disease
5. Parathyroid disorders including Hyperparathyroidism
6. Pituitary disorders including Pituitary tumors, Hyperprolactinemia and Acromegaly
7. Adrenal disorders including Adrenal nodules, Adrenal insufficiency, Cushing's syndrome, Pheochromocytoma and Primary Hyperaldosteronism
8. Male hypogonadism
9. Female reproductive disorders like Polycystic ovarian disease
2605 Shore Rd, Northfield, NJ 08225
Shore Medical Center, Somers Point, NJ
The Endocrine Society
American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists
American Diabetes Association
Philadelphia Endocrine Society
Research and Publications
1. Co-investigator in a Randomized Controlled Trial on the Efficacy of Sitagliptin Therapy for the Inpatient Management of General Medicine and Surgery Patients with Type 2 Diabetes - 2014
2. Principal investigator in residency research project, “Remission and resolution of type 2 diabetes mellitus after bariatric surgery – a community hospital experience”
3. Principal investigator in residency research project, “Evaluation of Cardiac Function in Patients receiving Anthracycline therapy”
4. Balakrishnan VB, Siraj ES. Effective Use of U-500 Insulin via Insulin Pump in a Type 2 Diabetes Patient with Severe Insulin Resistance. In Diabetes Case Studies. Draznin B, Low Wang CC, Rubin DJ, Eds. Alexandria, VA, American Diabetes Association, 2015, p. 102-104
Publications and Presentations-Including but not limited to:
1. Effect of Mifepristone on Cushing’s syndrome due to bilateral adrenal adenomas. Presented in The Endocrine Society’s 96th Annual Meeting & Expo, Chicago 2014.
2. A rare case of Adult-onset Nesidioblastosis presenting with asymptomatic hypoglycemia and peripheral neuropathy. Presented in the 22nd Annual Meeting of the AACE, Phoenix 2013.
3. Marine-Lenhart Syndrome with a Malignant Hyperfunctioning Nodule – A Rare Presentation of a rare Syndrome. Presented in the 83rd Annual Meeting of the American Thyroid Association, San Juan, Puerto Rico 2013.
4. Pituitary apoplexy – a diagnostic challenge. Presented in the 22nd Annual Meeting of the AACE, Phoenix 2013.
5. Uncommon cause of hypoglycemia in a diabetic patient – Salicylate toxicity. Presented in the 22nd Annual Meeting of the AACE, Phoenix 2013.
6. Yet another cause of chest pain – Intracardiac Inferior vena cava filter migration. Presented in the Annual AMA-RFS annual research symposium, San diego 2010.
Awards and Honors
1. CSIR foreign travel grant for young scientists/scholars - 2006
2. ARCCNM award for outstanding paper in 9th World congress of Nuclear Medicine and Biology - 2006
3. Young investigator award at the 53rd Annual meeting of Society of Nuclear Medicine by the IASNM - 2006
4. Best resident of the month - 2009